Sunday, June 27, 2004

17: Singing and cleaning

Well, my weekend has come and gone. My place is actually clean for the first time since coming here. It feels pretty good. The showerhead system here makes for an easy time cleaning the bathroom. Just a quick wipe with cleaning product, then spray the whole room down. It's perfect.

As for actual fun stuff, I went out with Edward again on Friday night, forgoing our usual Saturday ritual. We went out again for Korean BBQ. It was good, but not as good as last time. We had the spiced pork last time, this time just plain pork. The sauce was different and less tasty, and there were less side dishes and such. Oh well. We were joined by a new person by the name of Pah Mi-Yung. I had gotten so used to people introducing themselves to me by their English names, plus it was very loud in there, that I thought she said Pamela. I was corrected very quickly. She doesn't have an English name, which I think is great, to tell the truth. She does have a nickname, though, which apparently means "I like to drink" in a mix of Japanese and Korean. It was true, as she easily out drank Edward and I in both soju and later, beer.

Along that topic, we followed food by going next door to the pub. We were joined by Ivy, from last week, whose Korean name is Mi-Dong. Later, another person joined us. I never got his name, but I did learn that he is 23 years old. Mi-Dong left early to do some studying and the nameless guy had to go do something, but the rest of us (me, Edward, and Mi-Yung) decided that some karaoke was a good idea.

Karaoke in Korea is slightly different than your typical karaoke at home, and much better if you ask me. Every group gets its own room to sing in. That way, you don't have to sing in front of the entire bar, just your friends. There are way more songs listed, too. However, sometimes certain songs won't work, such as the entire Beatles catalog except for Yesterday, due to copyright laws. It's interesting to see songs like Ms. Jackson and St. Anger on the karaoke list. We had some good drunken singing fun.

So yeah, yesterday was a recovery day, today was a cleaning day and that catches us up. Last week was so fast. A good one, though. Hopefully I'll have more like that.

Steave

No comments: