Sunday, June 13, 2004

12: On Display

So, since my meaningless midweek posting last time, I've had some fun.
Thursday wasn't much, other than trying to survive a group of hyped up seven year olds intent on destroying my sanity. I got through it.
Friday's classes were basically the same. Those kids, yikes... How does one keep a rambunctious Korean child, or seven of them, in check?
After classes on Friday, James (aka Mr. Ahn, aka banana mayonnaise man) took me out for beer. I've come to realize that I can never keep up with the average Korean when it come to drinking. They just don't stop once started. This drinking trip, at a place called "Western Bar," was highlighted by the group of Koreans across the bar repeatedly lunging at each yelling "FUCK YOU" at the top of their lungs (and Keegan, if you're reading this, remember that saying that to anyone will get in a whole lot of trouble. No fun).
Early Saturday was spent being stupid to Debb online (sorry again about that, Debb). Edward came by and took me out for lunch. We had ramen noodles (which I've been living off of recently) and Korean sushi (Gimbap). Korean sushi is different than Japanese sushi in that instead of seafood it uses ham and fried egg. It was not at all what I expected.
Later, Edward and I went to get dinner, which is quickly becoming a Saturday ritual. We went to this wonderful restaurant which served seafood and a variety of mushrooms cooked right on your table, It was the best meal I've had yet, even beating out the Korean BBQ from last week.
After dinner we went for the requisite drinking. We went to two pubs, the second of which Edward tried valiantly to get a group of girls to let us join them. He was both extremely drunk and completely unsuccessful.
I noticed tonight some interesting things. Korean pub culture is not that far different from Canadian pub culture. There are some minor differences though. The food, for one, is odd. It seems one is required to order something to eat while they drink and this generally consists of a whole dried animal from the sea, an intricate fruit plate, or bits of canned fruit floating in a giant bowl of watery yogurt. Another difference is the ubiquitous use of scissors to cut all large food into smaller portions. There are more, but I can't remember them right now.
As well, I feel the need to point out that while I was wandering about with Edward today, I felt like I was on display. I am the only foreigner in town. Thus, everyone must either say hello to me, point and giggle at me, or feel extremely shy about even looking at me. It was almost like being a celebrity, but one that no one actually knows. It is strange.
And that catches us up to mow, with me sitting at my computer past midnight typing up a new update for you all. Enjoy!
Steve/Guy/Steave (as they seem to want to spell it here)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, well it sounds like you have picked yourself out of a slump, and that is good to hear :) Being in an asian country of any sort, so far away from home can be trying on anyone, and you are doing it without companionship from home.. again thank god for computers!
What you are doing is an amazing thing that takes great amounts of courage and desire. And it will never be like anything you ever do in your life again.. enjoy it, soak it all up and keep your "chin up" ... whatever for, i don't know... but that is what the mother in me wants to say :) The traveller in me wants to say... "it all sounds super cool and I wish I was there too!!"
Love ya!!
Karri