Sunday, May 23, 2004

Update #2: Food and Other Things

Let's see, where did I leave off. Oh yes, a lack of money due to the inability to cash my traveler's cheques. This lead to questioning how I was going to eat. I posed my problem to my employers, and after a bit, they understood. First, I was taken to get some food as it was 2 in the afternoon and hadn't eaten yet. They must have figured that I would be craving "food from home" because they brought me to McDonald's. As you all know, that is never my first choice in foods, but I couldn't turn them down, it would be rude. So, I hungrily ate a McChicken, which was subtly different from a North American one, but I can't really describe how. After that, I was lent 40,000 won (approx. $40) to get some groceries. As well, they decided to check why I wasn't getting any hot water for showering/shaving. Turns out, the heater had run out of oil. I'll get to have hot water on Monday.
Anyway, I was taken to the grocery store by a Mr. Ahn, the most fluent of the English speaking Koreans due to having spent 27 years in, of all places, San Diego. He's been in Miryang for 2 months, but it appears that I know my way around the city better. That was a bit alarming. We got to the grocery store and he guided me around, intent on getting me "the food I would be most comfortable with." That ended up being the makings of a fried bologna sandwich. It was horrible, especially seeing as what he picked out as mustard ended up being banana flavored mayonnaise. If I didn't know he was truly sincere in trying to be helpful, I might think he was out to kill me. The only good thing that came from the grocery trip was that I could get beer at the grocery store, and it was dirt cheap. It ended up being a pretty poor excuse for beer, but it was good enough. Next time, I shop on my own. That pretty much gets us through yesterday.
Today has been uneventful. I got up really early, walked around a quiet and deserted city for a few hours. Ate some sushi like triangle things from the convenience store then went home and read.

Very likely, these updates will be less frequent as I get more used to my surroundings, but right now, I just feel like I have so much to relate.
Guy

No comments: