Thursday, May 27, 2004

Korean Dispatch #5: Buddha on the Mountain, Drunkard down Below

I took said walk along the river. Along the way I passed playgrounds, tennis courts and picnicking families. I also walked though a semi natural grove of trees, with fenced pathways and such. This was right between the river and an apartment complex (which, if I haven't explained previously, isn't just one large apartment building, but many). I wasn't sure what this grove of trees was for or why there were fenced, yet meandering paths through it and large straight paths on either side, but I chose to walk along the meandering path. It was pretty, in a sculptured-wilderness-in-an-urban-setting sort of way, and other than the proliferation of small flying bugs, it was quite nice.
After this, I reached what had once been a point where the river course split. This was still right inside the city. It no longer split, because it appears they are converting that section of what likely was the main body of the river into a large cement area. This is no small project. The entire area they are converting looks to be about 500m wide and a good 2-3km long. They have nowhere near completed it, but what they have is available for all to walk across, play on, or fish off of. I chose to walk across.
This lead me to the base of a small mountain with a steep face that fell into the river. Along the base of this steep face was a road lined with shops, and next to the river, a path where many people were spending their evening fishing. It was all quite pleasant. I followed the road around the mountain, and at its end was steep, winding path bordered by a chain fence that lead up the mountain. I couldn't resist, so up I went. The views along the way up were spectacular, overlooking the river valley to the south of the city and the farm land contained within. At the top was another, much more secluded and larger Buddhist temple. This one was populated, not by sightseers like the one mentioned before, but with families and couples come to honor Buddha on his birthday. I was invited in, but felt a little uncomfortable, not being a Buddhist, and my stay was short. I did greatly appreciate the invitation, however. I decided that I would make way back down the other side, along the way having various children yell "Hello!" to me and then run off.
At the bottom of the other side of the mountain was another Buddhist temple, this time with a giant, inflatable Buddha in its courtyard. People were bowing to it as they would a bronze statue in the temple proper. Also, the courtyard, as well as the path up the mountain, was decorated with many very pretty paper lanterns. I watched and admired for a short while, then decided to go home.
I was in a new area of town, across the train tracks and slightly unsure how to get back without going back up the mountain and down the other side, the way I came. So, I made my way to a road and aimed approximately for home. This was the wrong way. First, I was accosted by a very amiable, at least at first, man, who was obviously more than a little intoxicated. He attempted rather earnestly to have me go into a house and join him for a drink or two. I declined. He insisted. He also then showed me his money, then pointed at me, as if to ask if I had any. I said no. He continued to attempt to get me to drink with him while I continued to politely try to escape. He then began to point in the direction I was walking and mime the shooting of a machine gun. All I wanted to do was get home. A car came around the corner, he had to move, and I quickly bowed to him and made my escape.
I eventually found my way to the right side of the train tracks, picked up a little food on the way and went home, as it was just starting to get dark. Along the walk, I noticed that early evening appears to be the time when young adults roam the streets in packs.
That about accounts for last night. This morning was quite dull, actually. I sat around reading, took a trip to the grocery store and waited for someone, anyone, to show up at the school so I could find out what was going on. I now know. In a half hour or so, we'll be going out campaigning again. Wheeeeee!!!
I'm told that tomorrow I go to Ulsan (a big city about an hour to the east) to report in with my work visa and meet some of the teachers at the ELC there. Sounds like fun, but they haven't exactly told me how I'm to get there yet. I'll let you know what happens.
Crocodile Steve

No comments: