Monday, May 24, 2004

Episode # 3: Hello, My Name is Steve

And so, immediately upon sending my last update, I am whisked away by another teacher (a Korean man known as Edward) and his family to a restaurant just outside of town. It is beautiful. It's inside a traditional house, well over a hundred years old, and is simply gorgeous. This was my first traditional setting and traditional Korean meal. We sat cross-legged on mats at a low table. They were far more at ease with this than I was, likely more so than I'll ever be (I lost feeling in my legs more than once and was a little wobbly when we left, people probably thought I was drunk). We were served some Kimchi (spicy-ish vegetables, sort of pickled/fermented, very good), which comes with all meals. Then we had Jeon, a pancake type food made with grated potato, also quite good dipped in soy sauce. This was all followed by Dolsot Bibimbap, which is a dish with various vegetable like bean sprouts, seaweed and other things I didn't quite recognize topped with a fried egg and rice that for some reason was purple. It was excellent, especially when mixed with hot pepper paste. A very tasty meal. I was quite happy, not to mention full.
After this, I was taken home, and decided that I should get some groceries to make up for the botched attempt earlier. I got some of that hot pepper paste, some real mustard, more beer, and some octopus tempura, tea, and some tomatoes. Not a great accomplishment, but I felt satisfied. I then proceeded to go home. I was expecting one of the teachers to come by, but I ended up passing out at around 4:00 in the afternoon. I didn't wake up until this morning, reeeeeeeeally early (slightly before sunrise). I casually made some eggs for breakfast, some tea, and then went for a good long walk to kill time until the banks opened and I could cash my traveler's cheques. I ended up climbing a hill (some might call it a small mountain, but no, it's a hill) with a Buddhist temple on it. It was amazing. I could see the whole valley, the temple was beautiful, and it was covered with people jogging. I still had time, so I wandered around the town after that, noticing that Koreans really seem to like fried chicken. I'll have to try some later. I was especially impressed with the types they advertised, such as "Donky Fried Chicken" and "Buchon: The Always Funny Chicken." They're tops on my list.
Eventually the banks opened, I got some money and an account and went home.
Then came the recruiting. Today we got to go out to an apartment complex and attempt to recruit students. It was weird to sit on the side of the road with a banner taped to a table and lure children over with rulers as bait. It seemed to work. The kids were all quite cute and entertaining. They mostly were very shy with me, saying hello, then running away, or just giggling incessantly whenever they looked at me. I enjoyed it, though. Made me realize just what a freak I am here.
During this, it was pointed out to me that my name was not a good one for Koreans to speak. It seems both pronunciations of Guy have Korean meanings that aren't overly flattering. They have decided to call me Steve. That's fine, it seems to be the way to go, as the other teachers go by an English name they wouldn't normally use, I might as well, too. The director, a Mrs. Kim, did not have an English name. She wanted me to give her one. She didn't want to go by Kim, which I assured her was a fine English name. Names that were suggested by others included Janet, Chrissy and Cindy. I found the Three's Company theme a little strange, but she decided on Cindy. Ok, I can deal with that, but now I will forever hear "Come and knock on our door..." whenever I see her.
And now you are up to date.
You'll hear from me again soon, I'm sure.
Steve

No comments: