Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Ugh

Yesterday was, to put it simply, horrid.

I believe the blame falls on food poisoning, and more specifically, McDonald's. There's a chance it was the truck chicken we had the night before, but seeing as we didn't feel sick until about an hour after Big Mac's, I fully place the blame there. I won't get into specifics, nobody wants to read that, but it was easily one of the worst days I have ever had. Thankfully, Laura and I both feel way better today. It also helped that yesterday was a mid-week holiday (Korean Independence Movement), so we didn't have to work. Today was a bit of a struggle towards the end, but I got through my classes basically unscathed. Still waiting to see if Laura's doing alright. We'll be having bland soup and plain rice when she gets here. Hurray for intestinal discomfort!

I guess it works out for the best, really, that I wasn't allowed to go to Jirisan for the gig, as I would be preparing myself right now for going on stage instead of sitting here trying to get over yesterday. I get the feeling it would have been horribly painful to perform tonight.

In happier news, it appears spring is in the process of arriving. The weather has been progressively warmer in the last little while and the forecast looks even better for next week. I'm pretty tired of winter (I've been tired of it since it began, but that's hardly a new thing for me) and anxiously look forward to sun and warm (not hot and humid, though, but that's later). I love how the seasons here are so distinct and change so suddenly. There are three things about spring I am not particularly looking forward to, though. One, my allergies. They always act up. I have my antihistamines, so I'll get by like I always do, but it's still no fun. Two, the onslaught of the dreaded Chinese Dust season. This apparently happpens every year, usually in early April. The poor farming practices in northern China (Manchuria) combined with a southerly wind bring all sorts of noxious dust to all parts of Korea. With the dust comes such great things as lead and mercury among other nasty things. I have been advised to obtain a mask during that period. It sounds dreadful. Three, the return of mosquitoes and wasps. I hate those little bastards. However, the lack of a cold Siberian wind and the prettiness of the cherry blossoms as well as the return of outdoor festivals and the like more than make up for the three things mentioned above.

Anyway, I'll sign off with a welcome to Mark who very recently arrived in Pohang. Hope it's all good,man. As well, I would like to apologize once again to Myza for the mix-up in meeting in Seoul and I hope everything is ok.

Guy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi guy,
my name is dan and i read some stuff you wrote on footprints recruiting about korea... my girlfriend and i are looking at coming to korea in the summertime for a year or so of english tutorship. so, i guess i just wanted to say i appreciate that people like you are communicating about the whole biz because i'm getting butterflies thinking about it. but good ones, i think. anyhow, be well!

El Duque said...

Hey Dan,

I'm glad to be of any sort of help. Do you know whereabouts you want to go in Korea? It's a good time here, usually.

I'll go post a comment on your site now...

Guy

Anonymous said...

guy,
thanks for the comments... i've definitely been doing some soul searching about the nature of truth, especially in a postmodern potent-capitalist society like america. anyhow, i think we're dreaming of seoul or any big city really. hurry and excitement sound cool, although we have sights set on some mountain climbing as well, as a navy chum stationed in korea has recommended it. (and being that we both have fascination with mountain climbing anyhow).
at this point we're trying to get our resumes polished and send in our applications. we hope to get to korea by june, if possible. (we're both graduating university in may). i guess more specific questions and fears will arrive as the date closes in and reality surfaces. how long do you plan on staying in korea?