Tuesday, August 10, 2004

25: Converting the Masses

So, not much has happened in the past week and a half, thus the lack of updates. I've just been teaching my classes, which have been pretty uneventful, and going for walks or sitting at the computer. I sure know how to live it up!

I did go out on Saturday with Edward and a some new people he brought along. We had a tasty pork bone soup called gamja-tang and much soju. I think I've managed to adjust myself to soju as it didn't hit me very hard this time at all. Afterwards we all went out for beer and a good time was had by all.

My real reason for writing this today is that I got into a discussion today with Cathy about how we give all the Korean students English names. It's apparently a school rule to assign a new 'English-friendly' name to all students. I have been uneasy about this from the start as I know how attached to my own name I am (this despite the fact I am going by Steave here...). Anyway, my uneasiness about this has grown with the fact that many students are resistant to changing their names. I see this as not being a problem. We transcribe their proper Korean name into the Roman alphabet and I learn how to pronounce them, usually quite poorly. The discussion I had with Cathy was just that, a discussion, as we both agreed that changing someone's name against their will just isn't right. One student, who got named Fred, requested that I call him Dae Won from now on. I fully support him in that.

This discussion of name appropriation got me thinking even deeper on things, thoughts I'm sure have gone through almost every ESL teachers mind when abroad. Are we not just new missionaries spreading our words to the unconverted and thus, unknowledgeable? Is the Anglicisation of the world really an honourable goal? While it is true that many, maybe even most, Koreans seek out English, there are quite a few who only learn it because it is a required subject in school or because their parents force them to. As well, of those who seek it out, their primary motivation is to get a good paying job with a trading company. This would be logical if they traded mostly with English speaking companies but, quite rightly, Korea trades mostly with Japan and China. That said, Japanese and Chinese (either Mandarin or Cantonese) are taught, but are not required learning or as actively sought out.

English here appears to be almost a national obsession. As I mentioned, it is required subject for all students, and most children and many adults seek outside schooling to reinforce those classes (thus, I have a job). I just wonder whether it is a symptom of the constant presence of American influence here since the Korean War or a true quest to gain knowledge of a foreign language. It's not so much that Koreans are so ardent in their pursuit of the English language, but that English seems to be the second or third language of choice worldwide while native English speakers are the least likely to bother learning another language. It just seems like arrogance to me, and its all nicely summed up in the "you should take on an English name because we don't want to try to learn how to pronounce your real one" attitude.

I am never one to criticize someone else for trying to gain more knowledge. I just am concerned that I may be an unintentional agent of cultural attack. I am one of those who believes that language plays a very integral role in cultural identity. From what I see of Korea, and admittedly it is not much yet, it is grasping very strongly onto American culture and quickly forgetting many things Korean. As of this point, the Korean language is still easily the most dominant, but with the huge number of active English language academies and the knowledge of English being demanded by schools, corporations and government, I kind of have to wonder how long things will remain this way.

Korean culture in no way appears to be weak, but the ubiquitous presence of Starbucks, McDonald's, English language academies and the fact that everyone here seems to have a brand new car and a cell phone leads me to wonder about later.

These really are just musings of an uninformed outsider, though. Most likely I am dead wrong and Koreans just grab what they like from western culture and ignore the rest, but at times it seems so pervasive that I can't help but think of myself as a new missionary, here to convert to "right" path.

***

Well, on a far less serious note, I just opened up a can of "Spicy Squids." I had bought it two weeks ago, but for some reason never opened it. They were tasty. I'll get them again. Really, how can one resist a label that says that?

That's all today. I go to Pusan again on Friday, so maybe more news this weekend.

Guy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Consider this, in western cultures we advertise a weak moral conscience and actively protect irresponsibility at the expense of others. It's the twisted results of foundations of nations that embrace freedom of individuals even to a fault. We're known to arbitrarily protect certain minorities at great cost to the majorities.

I am no expert on world cultures, religions or politics, but do spend a lot of time considering what we have and hold true in North America. I would agree with you that our arrogance in forcing the world to use English names and to believe as we believe is probably wrong. There are some great things about our cultures, but I'm certain there are great things about almost all cultures.

The Americans, the Romans. Where is it all going? On the news yesterday they were talking about how we're expected to have a great boom in British Columbia now that China's markets are opening to the world. Is that good or bad?

Food: Squid... never been fond of the rubbery squid you get around here, would love to try some variations.

Recently I've been trying out Thai sauces such as spicy passion fruit - they're very good. My favorite hot sauce is still Louisiana Hot Sauce on Chicken wings. If you've ever been to Cheers in Boston, they serve the best hot wings I've ever had... I recently discovered it's just Louisiana Hot Sauce!

TTYL
Mike

El Duque said...

I agree that individual freedom should be tempered with responsibility and that this is often forgotten in western culture, but I have to debate your assertion about arbitrarily protecting minorities to the detriment of the majority. There is a reason minorities are protected and that is because of abuses by the majority. I think all beliefs and lifestyles should be protected as long as they cause no harm to others. Just because the majority of people think one way doesn't mean that that should be the only way to be. I don't see why the majority should be able to dictate how things should be in all aspects of life to everyone else. I agree that majority opinions should be basically representative of governments as a whole, but that should cease when those opinions become oppressive to others. I think applies in matters of religion, language, economics, race, and sexual orientation. When the majority starts to act like its way is the only way, unrest and trouble is the only result.

You are right, there are great things, and not so great things, about all cultures. But even in typing that, I realize how it all just a matter of culturally biased personal opinion that tells me what is great and not so great in any given culture.

As for a boom in BC due to China opening up, I have no clue. Economics has always escaped me. As long as employment goes up without damaging scial and environmental structures, then I think it should all work out.

And about squid, if cooked properly, its not rubbery at all (out of a can, though, its inescapable). Good stuff, it is, though. And I do love my hot sauces. Louisiana stuff just tastes like peppery vinegar to me though. The best stuff I've had came from Antigua. It's called Suzy's hot sauce. Great stuff, all the varieties. Mmmmmm...

Guy

Anonymous said...

Well, to continue the great debate, I have just to say this...It is unfortunate that in these countries foreign to north america that they seem to grasp so strongly onto all things american. I struggled also with the very same things while I travelled and it is a really overwhelming subject. I don't think that I ever came up with a real argument for or against any of it, but the name thing really bothered me for a long time, especially when my syudents would look shyly at me and say they thought their "chinese" name was no good, or it sounded bad. One way of dealing with this is to give them names that sound "similar" in English. Another is to translate their names into english.. that does not always work favourably however. One thing that one of my favourite treachers did was give the children ridiculous names. He was a very creative sort and Among his students were "Batman" and "spiderman" and a few other superheroes and icons.
On a personal opinion veign... I think that it can't do the world any harm to try and creat a sort of "universal" language so that we may communicate better with other cultures. I htink it is awfully arrogant of us to assume that english is the only language good enough. I also think that the american-ization of most asian cultures is a damned shame and that a lot of these countries should take a page from the book of the Thai people who are incredibly tollerant of our ways, and (to a degree) embrace our presence in their country but are so proud of their own custms and culture that they are not so easily convinced that our ways are better. I will never forget the strange feeling of standing in a modern movie theater (complete with expensive popcorn and sodas)in bangkok waiting for the national athem to be sung before proceeding with the movie.
Well, I have more to say I am sure but my son needs to sleep and therefore i am needed.