Saturday, July 17, 2004

21: Pick up lines, dragonflies, and a twist. And can I get that to go?

Hello all!
 
This past week has yet again been a quick one, but with an interesting twist at the end. I'll get to that in a bit.
 
My classes went fairly well. My favourite class is the TOEIC one with the university students. They actually seem like they want to be there for the most part, which is nice. They're picking up English phrases pretty quickly and I think they are now able to introduce themselves to people in English. My next goal is make those introductions not sound like a personals ad. Here's an example from earlier this week, "Hello, my name is Chang-wan. I'm 24 years old and I like walks along the river and hiking through the beautiful mountains." Actually, and this may just be my twisted mind, but I find that almost anything they say in an introduction sounds remarkably like some sort of pick up line. Another example, this time from the middle of an introductory conversation but again from Chang-wan, "Do you like to walk in the rain? I'd like you to visit my house." There are many examples of this, but I'll let it go for now. However, when they aren't sounding like they want to pick you up, they sound extremely formal, using phrases like, "Good evening, how do you do?" and "I would be honored for you to accept my invitation to dinner tomorrow evening." I really need to work on getting them to sound more casual, but I guess that will come with time.
 
The other classes all are sticking to their patterns of studious 11 year old boys, a reluctant 15 year old girl, and children bringing large, live insects to class. Things will change a bit next week though, as I'm told that every Friday will now be field trip day. I had my first field trip yesterday, and it was with the university students. We walked along the river, talked about hiking and music. It was fun. There were dragonflies everywhere. I've never seen so many of them.  But the field trips with that class will be every second Friday. Its the kids class I'll have to take out every Friday from now on. That has me very nervous as I often have a hard time controlling them in class. I can see them just wandering off or making me look like a complete ass somehow. I may in fact be a complete ass sometimes, but I don't actually want to look like one. One other schedule change is that I will be staying at the school until 7:30 each evening. They didn't tell what the reason was, just that I will be. So, anyone who was looking forward to talking to me on messenger in the wee hours of the morning (aka, Debb), you'll now have to stay up even later or just wait until the next day before I go to work.
 
So, that was my week for the most part. Now for the twist. After I was told about the schedule changes and field trips I was told another tidbit of information. Apparently if the school doesn't double its enrollment by the end of August, they're going to close it down. Now, before you get upset or worried, fear not, things are being taken care of. Should this school closure come to pass, I will simply (?) be placed at another school, likely in another city. This isn't that big a deal for me. I'm adaptable. Plus this will give me a greater exposure to Korea in general and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm fine with staying if the school stays open, but the thought of moving is pretty exciting to the truth. And starting anew somewhere else means I'll get my name back! Yay!
 
An now we are again caught up. Until next time,
 
Steave

No comments: